Fast facts on West Nile Virus
The West Nile virus outbreak last year was the largest ever seen in the United States, according to new numbers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The cases reported to the CDC were 2,636, including 118 deaths.
Here are some fast facts about the virus.
Background on the West Nile virus
– Symptoms of infection include: fatigue, fever, headache, body aches, rash, and swollen lymph nodes.
– Those who become ill may develop West Nile encephalitis, an inflammation of the brain.
– There is no vaccine or specific treatment for West Nile virus.
– The virus is spread by mosquitoes, which contract West Nile from infected birds.
– According to the CDC, only 1% of people bitten by West Nile-infected mosquitoes become seriously ill.
– It is not known how the virus arrived in the United States.
About 75% of the cases are in Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, South Dakota and Oklahoma
Here are five things you need to know about West Nile virus:
1. Most mosquitoes do not carry West Nile.
In areas where mosquitoes carry the virus, only about one in 500 mosquitoes is infected.
2. Most people bit by West Nile mosquitoes do not get sick.
About 80% of people bit by a mosquito infected with the West Nile virus do not get sick, according to the CDC. About 20% will have relatively mild symptoms, such as fever, headache and vomiting. Symptoms can last for as short as a few days or as long as a few weeks. About one in 150 people infected with West Nile will develop a severe illness, which can include paralysis, coma or death.
3. You can help prevent West Nile
• Use mosquito repellents
• Dress in long pants and long sleeves
• Be especially careful at dusk and dawn
• Drain any standing water, such as kiddie pools or bird fountains, where mosquitoes like to breed.
4. People over 50 are most vulnerable.
Those older than 50 are the most likely to become severely ill with West Nile and should take special care to avoid mosquitoes, according to the CDC.
5. Seek medical care immediately if you have severe headaches or confusion.
If you develop symptoms of severe West Nile virus illness, such as unusually severe headaches or confusion, seek medical attention immediately, according to the CDC. Severe illness usually requires hospitalization. Milder cases improve on their own and do not necessarily require medical attention.
We carry a product called MARTIN'S PERMETHRIN 13.3% that you can spray your lawn with that will help control the mosquito population in your yard.
Martin's Permethrin 13.3%
• Use Inside and Out
• Controls Insect Pests for up to 4 wks
• Home Uses Include: Pantries, Bedding, Kitchens, Buildings, Carpets, Clothing
• Can be used in handheld foggers, or automatic misting systems
• One quart makes up to 48 gallons for contact and residual sprays, and up to 266 gallons for large animal sprays
MOSQUITOES, MOSQUITOES, MOSQUITOES, House Flies, cockroaches, crickets, silverfish, clover mites, millipeds, centipeds, earwigs, sowbugs, spiders, brown dog ticks, lone star ticks, ants, fire ants, clothes moths, carpet beetles, fleas, boxelder bugs, scorpions, spider beetles, bedbugs, grasshoppers, gants, fruit flies, cluster flies, and many other beetles and moths.
Safe for use around pets. Our most popular solution for long lasting control of MOSQUITOES.
We Carry The Original Martin's Brand (not generics) In 8-Ounce And Quart Bottles,
Starting At Just $9.95
Having A Picnic Or Get-Together, Try Our Mosquito Repelling Granules
Begins Working Within The Hour:
Mosquito Repelling Granules provide fast protection and create an instant barrier between you and the mosquitoes. Unlike other mosquito repellents, this unique formula actually keeps mosquitoes off the areas of property you apply it to, so you and your family can be free of bites and annoyance all summer long!
One Application Lasts Up to 3 Weeks:
Dr.T’s Mosquito Repelling Granules deliver long-lasting protection to mosquito pests which makes it a more time-saving and economical repelling solution. One application will last up to 3 weeks!
Easy to Use Shaker Cap
Mosquito Repelling Granules are easy to apply, with its built-in sprinkler cap. Just one application of this 5 lb. granular presentation treats up to 4,000 square feet.
End your mosquito problem once and for all with the best mosquito repellent from Dr. T’s.